Elephanta Island Experience
Discover the island of Gharapuri – home to the world famous Elephanta caves, also home to unique villages unlike anywhere else in India.
On this experience, led by local expert and islander Milind Mahadev Mhatre, we will visit the Elephanta caves – which are a world heritage site in themselves, and then visit the rest of the island which is covered in dense native forests.
There are few inhabited islands along India’s coasts, and this is a very unique one. It has the Elephanta caves, Buddhist stupas, a lake, giant cannons and entire villages with no traffic whatsoever!
After walking through dense jungle we arrive at our local expert’s village – which was just recently electrified – and understand the culture of the Agri and Koli communities that call the island their home. In the village, we will try and experience the daily life of the citizens of this unique island village, surrounded by stunning views of the Arabian Sea and greenery all around.
We will end with a fresh, homemade lunch at our local experts place!
Experience start point: Gateway of India, Mumbai
Start time: 8:45 am
Return to Gateway of India: 3 pm
- Interactive and guided visit of Gharapuri island
- Return ferry tickets from Gateway of India
- Entry fees for the island and the caves
- Train tickets from Elephanta jetty to the base of the caves
- Breakfast upon arrival and a local, home made lunch
- Transport to and from the Gateway of India
- Additional entry fees for foreigners as charged by the authorities (to be paid on the spot)
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions
Prices for private tours :
|Number of participants||Price per participant|
|5 or more||₹1990|
To enquire about availability, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at +91-9137279060