Discover Warli art, culture and way of life with this unique experience. On this enriching journey we will visit the Warli heartland, only a few hours north of Mumbai. The Warlis are famous all over the world as they capture their knowledge, beliefs and cultural inheritance into their beautiful paintings, murals and art-forms.
Their art is a reflection of their society and way of life, a society in which men and women work together in a sustainable, eco-friendly way of life. Nature is not exploited, it is worshipped and respected instead. We have much to learn from them.
By visiting the village, we will learn the significance of and symbolism behind the world-famous Warli paintings, directly from an internationally acclaimed artist, Mr. Sanjay Parhad. Mr. Parhad, whose artwork is displayed in galleries around the world, will also conduct a hands-on session where you will learn to draw and paint these tribal art forms by yourselves. As a souvenir, you will get to take your masterpiece home! You can also purchase paintings and handicrafts directly from the immensely talented tribal artisans.
We will not just see and learn about the rustic, self-sustainable lifestyle of the tribe and their deep bond with nature, but also understand the problems that they are facing – such as the plagiarism of their designs and their efforts to protect their Intellectual Property.
Tour timings: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Meeting point: Vangaon, Maharashtra
- Interactive Warli art painting session
- Visit of the village and its organic farms and plantations
- Opportunity to buy Warli Art directly from local artisans (optional)
- Breakfast and a traditional Warli lunch (vegetarian and organic)
- Transport from Mumbai to the Warli Village
- Anything not mentioned under inclusions
How to get there:
The village is located very close to Vangaon railway station on the Western Line. The exact location will only be disclosed upon booking.
- By train (recommended): You can reach there in under 2 hours from Andheri by taking the 7:38 AM Dahanu Road Fast, which also stops at Borivali, Bhayander and Vasai. Get off at Vangaon station at 9:24 AM and take a short 5 minute rickshaw ride to the Warli Village.
- By car: Around 130 km from Mumbai (BKC) via the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway. Total time taken to reach is approximately 2-2:30 hours in the morning. You should be back in Mumbai by 4:30 pm.