The Konkan coast is one of the most scenic coastal stretches in the world. On this calm and relaxed night trail, organised by cycle-touring experts – Pedal Thirst Adventures and heritage travel experts – Swadesee we will explore the cultural heritage, historical and natural beauty of the Konkan coast just south of Mumbai.
Saturday, 18th May
We will assemble at Gateway of India at 4:45 pm to board our ferry to Mandwa jetty. From Mandwa our night ride begins just before sunset!
We will ride through mangroves, rice fields and small villages to arrive at the town of Alibaug. After crossing Alibaug we will get on the coastal road towards Revdanda. We will ride past pretty Mangalore-tiled Konkani homes interspersed with coconut and supari plantations.
All along the route, the mango trees will be full of fruit and the air will be full of their sweet aroma!
Finally, after 40 km of riding we will arrive at our neat and clean homestay for a scrumptious local Konkani meal. After dinner, we will spend some time gazing at the stars from the beach and head to bed for an early morning.
Total ride distance: 40 km
Sunday, 19th May
We will visit the medieval Portuguese forts of Revdanda and Korlai in the early morning and watch the sun rise with a spectacular view of the Arabian sea. Here, we will hear some interesting stories about these forts and how fragments of Portuguese culture have survived in the region.
After loading ourselves with breakfast, we will get back on the saddle and ride back to Mandwa jetty where we will catch the ferry back to Mumbai.
We will be back in Mumbai around 12 noon.
Total ride distance: 40 km
Contact number for queries: Mohit – 9137279060
Difficulty level: Easy
This is an easy trail with no significant climbs. The biggest challenge on this ride would be to wake up early on Sunday morning!
If you are relatively fit and are used to cycling occasionally, you will be able to join us on this experience.
- Accommodation in neat and clean local homestays on triple/four sharing basis or dormitory depending on availability.
- Refreshments and dinner on day 1, breakfast on day 2
- Filtered drinking water and fresh, local beverages along the route
- All travel costs such as ferry crossing fees
- A trained guide on a cycle along the route along with necessary repair kit etc
- A support vehicle all along the route, which would take care of your luggage
- A mechanic along with the group to take care of running repairs
- Cycle hire: We will provide you cycles and helmets on hire at Mandwa jetty, the start point of this trail. Once the trip is over we would take the cycle back.
- Transport costs to Gateway of India and back.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, tips to driver or any other service personnel etc.
- Any kind of cost needed for major repairs and spares to repair a personal cycle in case of break down.
- Any kind of insurance, such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation etc.
- Any additional expense caused due to any reason beyond control of Pedal Thirst Adventures or Swadesee and its associates; like change in itinerary due to flight delays, road blockage, landslides, bad weather conditions, bridge breakage and any other natural calamity or incidence like strike, curfew etc. on which Pedal thirst adventures / Swadesee and its associates do not have any control.
- Items not specified above in “Inclusions”.
Things to carry:
- Sports shoes during cycling
- 2 lit water bottle(compulsory)
- MTB / Hybrid cycle and a helmet (if opting to bring own cycle)
- Front and rear tail lights (not provided on rent)
- Cycling Jersey or Any Dry Fit T-Shirt or Cotton T-Shirt
- Cycling Shorts or Well Fitting Sports Shorts
- Riding Gloves – optional
- Sweat Band or Bandana
- Cotton Socks
- Personal medication requirements if any
- Change of clothes for the next day
- Anti-rash cream or powder to avoid a rash near the groin area from cycling
- Your luggage would be carried in the support vehicle.
- A professional cycle mechanic would be with us throughout the journey. If any minor repair work needs to be done (like punctured tyre etc.), we would do it free of cost; but any major repair work and/or involving spare parts, would be charged at actual.
- It is mandatory for all participants to wear helmets on the ride at all times. It is also essential that your cycles be fitted with front and rear lights.
- On this cycle trail delays and detours are possible on account of road blocks and weather conditions. Our effort would be to continue with the trip as per the schedule; make sure that you would be comfortable. But in rare situations we could have to compromise on the accommodation that we have booked and adjust to these situations there. No compensation of any sort would be provided in such an event.
- The itinerary described above is the planned one; however due to reasons beyond our control some spot changes might have to be done. The decision of the organisers would be final in such a case. No compensation of any sort would be provided in such a case.
- The distances mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information. Some minor variations would be expected.
To learn more about the region directly from the locals (and to help them benefit from tourism) we will stay in a local homestay with neat and clean rooms or dormitories with shared toilet and bath facilities. Participants would be required to share with other participants, based on the size of the room at each homestay. Men and women will be accommodated separately.
Electricity and hot water would be available at all homestays. High speed mobile internet networks are mostly available in the region.
We would have local food to immerse ourselves in the unique and world famous Konkani cuisine. Meals provided by us would only be vegetarian, however participants can choose to upgrade to a non-vegetarian meal by paying the difference on the spot.
Medical and first aid:
This cycle expedition is in a relatively remote region, where advanced, professional medical help may not be available as easily as it is in Mumbai or Pune. It would be the participant’s responsibility to ensure that he or she is in good health, physically and mentally both. It would be advisable to speak to your physician if you are unsure of your fitness levels. In case you have an existing medical condition or disability you must inform us before booking with us. If in our opinion, this cycle trail from Mumbai to Revdanda is not suitable for your medical condition, we reserve the right to refuse booking. In case of any health problem that you might face on the trip, it would be advisable to speak to your tour leader. The tour leader would be equipped to give only first aid to participants. Any expense incurred by us for any medical emergency / for evacuation for any reason, the expenses for the same would be borne by the concerned participant.