Join us for a hike up the highest peak in Maharashtra for stunning views, to discover unique ecosystems, and to experience village life in the mountains!
The pre-monsoon season is also special in the Sahyadris, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as it is the season when thousands of fireflies light up the hills and trees.
As with all Swadesee experiences, we engage with the locals as we learn about their lifestyle and their culture. As such, we will be setting up tents and camping in the base village of Bari.
Food served during the experience will be authentic village food freshly made and served by the beautiful and hard-working inhabitants of the region.
Meeting point: Kasara Railway Station – 3 pm, Saturday 9th June
Saturday, 9th June
We gather outside Kasara Railway Station at 3 pm and then proceed by private transport to Bari village, where we will set up tents and then visit the village.
After sunset, we will enjoy a delicious local-made dinner and then an expert from the village will take us on a trail to see the fireflies! If the night isn’t cloudy, we’ll spend the night gazing at the stars from our campsite and then get some sleep for the next mornings trek.
Sunday, 10th June
We get up before the sun rises and begin the hike to Kalsubai peak, with a chilly breeze accompanying us as we admire a beautiful sunrise. As we become one with the skies we reward ourselves with panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. We will hear stories about the peak, the neighbouring forts and lakes, and the impact of tourism and development on life in the mountains.
As we arrive back down to the village, we will be welcomed with another great meal. Once we complete lunch, we say goodbye to our lovely hosts and make our way back down to Kasara railway station to catch the 1:31 pm train that will get us back to Mumbai by 3:30 pm.
How to get to the meeting point:
There is a local train departing from CST at 12:33 pm that will get you to Kasara by 2:47 pm. You can also get on to the train at Dadar, Ghatkopar or Thane.
Participants may also choose to drive down to the base village by themselves.
- Village visit and camping experience
- Firefly spotting with a local expert
- Guided climb up to Kalsubai with a local expert
- Evening snacks and dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast and lunch on Sunday
- Transport from Kasara station and back
- Comfortable clothes – no jeans or formal clothing for the hike
- Windcheater – in case it rains
- Trekking shoes or sturdy sports shoes
- Two liters of drinking water – minimum
- Torch for the campsite at night
- Camera – optional
- Curiosity and energy – compulsory!
The Kalsubai trek is a moderate one and there is no requirement of technical equipment or experience. If you maintain basic fitness and can walk 3-4 km you will be able to climb the peak easily. It takes about 3 hours to climb up and 2.5 hours to get back down.
- No alcohol consumption will be permitted on this experience. Nature will provide all the intoxication you require.
- Participants will be required to sign a disclaimer before the hike begins.
- All minors will need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Refunds will only be provided under special circumstances.
- There are no facilities to take a shower on the second day.
- Fireflies are a natural phenomenon and we cannot guarantee the number of firefly sightings.