Kanheri Caves Experience
Explore the ancient Kanheri Caves, located deep inside a dense forest in Mumbai.
Mr. Sardar, a practicing Buddhist and the head of the Buddhist Committee of the region, will enlighten you through the caves and the National Park. Having lived in the park all his life, he has a rather interesting perspective of this popular getaway, which in his words is, “an island of peace within the island of Mumbai.”
This experience will include a visit to a local settlement where we will see and learn about the popular Warli art. We will also make a short climb up to earn a panoramic view of the forest, the suburbs and the crocodile-filled Tulsi Lake.
Come, join us on this walk with Mr. Sardar, a Mumbaikar who breathes fresh air and doesn’t encounter any traffic in his daily routine! He will happily answer any questions you may have about Buddhism, the caves and life in the national park.
Tour timings: 8:15 am to 11:30 am
Meeting point: Ticket counter, Main Gate, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali East, Mumbai – 400066
8:15 AM: Meet our local expert – Mr. Sardar
8:25 AM: Ride through the park to Kanheri caves
9:00 AM: Begin caves experience
10:40 AM: Visit a local settlement in the park
10:50 AM: Enjoy fresh, simple vegetarian breakfast
11:15 AM: Ride towards the main gate
11:30 AM: Experience ends at main gate, SGNP
- Transport within the park by private vehicle
- Entrance fees to the national park and the caves
- Guided visit of the caves by a local expert
- Basic Maharashtrian breakfast
- Visit of a local settlement inside the national park
- Parking fee of ₹177 per vehicle for those arriving by personal car
- Additional foreigner fee of ₹200 for non-Indians charged by the ASI (Archeological Survey of India)