Immerse yourself in the culture and natural beauty of rural Sindhudurg on this three-day long experience, entirely led and operated by local Konkani women.
Over three days, you will explore virgin beaches, spot diverse marine and bird life such as dolphins, stingrays and hornbills, visit massive sea forts and understand Konkani culture and traditions directly by interacting with local villagers. Sindhudurg was voted as one of the cleanest districts in India and we will respect our surroundings by consuming only home cooked local food and beverages on this zero-waste experience.
Experience start point: Kankavali Railway Station – 8 am, Friday, 29th November 2019
Experience end point: Kankavali Railway Station – 4 pm, Sunday, 1st December 2019
Day 1: 29th November
We will gather at Kankavali station in the morning, and move from there in our privately booked transport to a local home nearby for fresh and authentic Konkani breakfast.
Post breakfast, we will drive through the lush green hills and mango orchards of north Sindhudurg and arrive at our host village of Mithmumbari.
Once we freshen up, our local experts will take us through the village and tell us more about local culture and unique traditions followed in their village.
When we return we will directly observe and learn how the world-famous Malvani cuisine is prepared in an interactive culinary workshop, post which we will spoil ourselves with a scrumptious Malvani meal! On the menu will be fresh fish fry and fish curry (for non vegetarians), pickles, papad, lentils and fresh vegetables (for vegetarians). And of course, sol kadhi for everyone!
After lunch we will visit Devgad fort, a lighthouse and a unique local market where auctions take place. We will view the sun set into the Arabian sea from a panoramic vantage point.
After sunset will we will head to another village home for a unique and special home-cooked Malvani dinner. All ingredients will be sourced locally.
Post dinner, we will walk around to see the stars and then have a good nights sleep at our village home in Mithmumbari.
Day 2: 30th November
We will wake up early to the sound of birds chirping and make our way to the creek where will try to spot flying fish, jellyfish, sting rays, turtles and the many other forms of marine life that exist here.
Our walk will end at a big grove of Casuarina (Suru) trees at the beach, where you can take a dip in the water if you like!
After this exciting morning, we will visit yet another village home where we will fill ourselves with a delicious and fulfilling breakfast. We will then freshen up and visit the nearby Kunkeshwar temple and understand some of its ancient tales.
We will return to our village home in Mithmumbari, after which we will have another delicious local lunch.
Post lunch we will visit the mighty sea fort of Vijaydurg, an hour’s drive away. We will hear stories of its historical significance and importance from the locals there.
We will then embark on an hour long sunset boat ride to spot dolphins!
Post sunset, we will return to Mithmumbari village for an interactive session of Fugdi, a traditional Konkani dance form. We will not just watch our lovely hosts, we will shake a leg ourselves!
Once our appetite has been sufficiently built up, we will spoil ourselves once more with a delicious home-cooked Konkani dinner.
Overnight at our village home in Mithmumbari, with the sound of the waves putting us in a deep sleep.
Day 3: 1st December
We will wake up and enjoy a hearty breakfast, after which we will visit ancient petroglyphs, dating back to tens of thousands of years.
We will return to the village, have lunch, thank the women of Mithmumbari for hosting us and then depart for Kankavali where will end our wonderful weekend together.
Contact: Mohit at 9137279060 for any queries
How to reach Kankavali:
1. By air – the closest airport is in Goa, from where you can take a short bus or train ride to reach Kankavali. The LTT Doubledecker train leaves Karmali station (Goa) on Friday at 6.30 am and reaches Kankavali at 8.10 am.
2. By rail – Several overnight trains from Mumbai reach Kankavali in the morning. We recommend the Konkan Kanya Express, however it does get booked quickly, so you will need to book in advance.
3. By bus – Overnight luxury Volvo buses from Mumbai/Pune and Goa are available year round. The bus stand is very close to the railway station and we will pick you up from there in case you travel by bus.
- Transport from the start and end points
- Guided walks around villages, forts, beaches and forests
- Cultural immersions such as culinary workshops, local dance and games
- Overnight stay at neat and clean village homes
- Local Konkani Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner on Day 1 and 2
- Local Konkani Breakfast and Lunch on Day 3
Note: Non-vegetarian food (mainly fresh, local fish) will only be served for lunch and dinner and will be prepared in a separate kitchen. You can let us know a few hours before every meal whether you would like to have vegetarian or non-vegetarian food.
- Comfortable holiday clothes – please avoid formal clothing
- Flip-flops or sandals – we are going to visit several beaches!
- Conservative costume/shorts if you wish to swim on the beach
- A towel
- Cap or hat
- One bottle of drinking water – please avoid plastic if possible
- Personal toiletries and medications, if any
- Camera – optional
- Curiosity and energy – compulsory!
We will be staying in neat and clean village homestays, with a hot water shower and a clean toilet. Do keep in mind that these are traditional village homes with several shared rooms and not hotels with private rooms. Since the homes and our experience will be entirely run by women, the environment is very safe and friendly for all genders. We will be be sleeping on individual mattresses or small beds in spaces partitioned by gender, unless you are a couple and wish to be together.
Fans, electricity and charging points will be available at all homes. Blankets, pillows and basic toiletries such as soap will also be provided.
Level of physical activity: Easy
We will be exploring villages, forts and beaches at a low pace. There will be some steps you may have to climb in and around villages or forts to get to view points.
- No alcohol consumption will be permitted on this experience. Nature will provide all the intoxication you require.
- All minors will need to be accompanied by an adult.
Cancellation charges are applicable on actual full tour price.
60 days prior to the experience – Full refund (minus transaction fees of 2.5%)
Between 60 – 30 days prior – 80% of the tour cost will be refunded (minus transaction fees of 2.5%)
Between 29 – 10 days prior – 50% of the tour cost will be refunded (minus transaction fees of 2.5%)
Less than 10 days prior – No refund